Haigh-Black Funeral Home & Cremation Services is an
independent, four generation, family owned business serving Volusia County
since January of 1931. Though there may be firms older by establishment date,
we are the oldest funeral home in Volusia County continuously owned and
operated by the same family.
1931 - Harry Haigh and his mother-in-law Evelyn Brooks
established Haigh-Brooks Morticians which first opened on Main Street next to
Pinewood Cemetery. (4 months before the Empire State Building opened its
1934 - Haigh-Brooks Morticians moved to the corner of Broadway
and Grandview Ave.
1941 - Haigh-Brooks Morticians moved to East International
1948 - Evelyn Brooks dies and Robert and Joanne Haigh Black are
1954 - Robert Black becomes a full partner and the name of the
funeral home is changed to Haigh-Black Funeral Home.
1960 - Joanne Black becomes one of the first female licensed
funeral directors in the State of Florida.
1969 - Haigh-Black purchases a second location at 167 Vining
Court in Ormond Beach.
1977 - Harry Haigh dies in January.
1985 - Robert Black dies in May. Norman Black joins the firm.
2003 - Haigh-Black Funeral Home conducted business at 103
Broadway (now 103 E. International Speedway Blvd.) in Daytona Beach from
January 1941 to December 31, 2003. The business did not own the property.
Circumstances developed which forced us to move out of the location since the
majority owners, had the property up for sale. We consolidated our business
into our location at 167 Vining Court in Ormond Beach.